WARNING: Rebecca D. shows flagrant disregard for the rules of punctuation... She uses ellipsis with wild abandon... Punctuation interventions have been done to no avail... If you are offended by such irreverence to the rules of grammar... The very glue that holds our society together... STOP READING NOW... Move on... There is a little button at the top that says "next blog"... You would be well advised to use it... You were warned...

Seattle & Friday Harbor... Day Four...

Monday, May 5, 2014

First of all, sorry it's taking me so long to get through all these posts... I know everyone is crazy busy but you all find time to post... I think I have figured it out... I need "uninterrupted" time to write and if I can't get that the writing does not happen... So if you all would kindly let my family know I need more "Rebecca time" to write I will reward you all with more of my rambling nonsense! Sounds fair! 


Now on to our day four of our trip... 
I finally convinced Paul to just let us eat breakfast in the hotel restaurant so I would not be totally worn out since we had a busy day ahead... 

We would be flying by float plane to Friday Harbor at noon but first we had a difficult task that morning in that we could only bring 25 pounds of luggage each (including all carry on items like my purse) and we had about 100 pounds of luggage and I had done some shopping! We had to pare down to just what we needed the most on the island and the airline would store the rest. Paul's suitcase was the smaller of the two so we decided to only take it and my purse and anything we didn't need would go in my suitcase and our two carry-on bags... After much decision making we were as light as we were going to get. (I seriously considered wearing extra layers but it was kind of warm so I would have been miserable.) 
Around 10:30 we bid our lovely hotel and it's amazing staff adieu and took a taxi to the Lake Union Kenmore Air Terminal. The good news was we were at just 37 pounds of luggage between the two of us! (I could have packed more!!! UGHHH!) but the bad news is we had an hour wait in a teeny tiny terminal with a couple of the most annoying women I have ever encountered. I usually love to meet new people but these women were the most self absorbed people I think I have ever seen... I could fill a whole post with their behavior but I won't, let's just say as the terminal filled up with people for one of the four flights leaving at noon they tended to all give them a wide berth and mostly clustered in the tiny area we were in. Thankfully they were not on the same plane we were! 


And here it is... A whopping six seat plane INCLUDING the pilot! 


There the pilot is loading our bags as the four of us passengers headed down to the plane! 


Here is Paul in the back seat... It looks like he's crammed in but he's actually trying to duck my photo... Silly him, I'll use it anyways! 


Here we are taxiing on the lake and...


Just that quick we were off...
(I spared you the story of my graceful entrance into said plane... I got in and nobody got wet so enough said!) 


Here are a couple photos of leaving Seattle...


Now that's a view of the Space Needle!! 


And that is the EMP museum again on the lower left this time from the air, and the monorail station in the center... If you notice, the tracks of the monorail go right through the EMP building. I hadn't mentioned this before since it would have been had to describe but yes the EMP building was built around the monorail! Cool, huh?


Here is the view from my seat forward... Tiny little plane! 


I don't know if this map helps or if you can even read it (maybe if you click on it!) but is shows where we were headed in that box toward the top...


When we got there the plane dropped us off on this pier that was a total maze... First we headed the logical way that was a dead end so we doubled back and wound our way to shore...

(google.com image)
See what I mean!


There was a small park right there and after cutting through it we were right in front of our hotel.


The Island Inn at 123 West


It was incredible! So modern, yet so comfortable! 


I was so exhausted I wanted to dive right into that bed but we still had a big day ahead of us! 


Oh, and the airline knew we were celebrating our anniversary so they sent over flowers & champagne!   



The bathroom was a virtual spa! 

Huge soaking tub...


Relaxing shower!


And the view!!! 

But we had come to Friday Harbor to meet up with my bloggy little sister and her family...


Meet Nina from Nina the Mom!
She & her husband and her two adorable little boys would be our hosts for the next part of our trip! 


First they whisked us off to lunch at this little taco place that I can't remember the name of if my life depended on it... It was a literal hole in the wall but oh so good... Lick your plate good! 

After lunch they took us back to our hotel so we could settle in...
I needed some moleskin since I had horrible blisters from all the walking in Seattle and so after a brief nap we headed up the street to the pharmacy and dropped into the market to get some creamer for my morning coffee... 

Later Nina & Family met us down the street for dinner... 


We had walked past this place on our way to the store so I was thrilled when they suggested it for dinner. I had absolutely fabulous fish & chips here for dinner!

We then retired for the night with big plans for tomorrow! 
I went back and took a dip in that giant tub then slept like a baby in that amazing room!  


Thanks for listening,

2 comments :

  1. Your hotel looks amazing - perfect location! And hurray for time with Nina and fam :D

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally enjoying reading about your trip! And whoa, talk about small plane! Brave soul, you are. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Friends don't let friends go without comments....