WARNING: Rebecca D. shows flagrant disregard for the rules of punctuation... She uses ellipsis with wild abandon... Punctuation interventions have been done to no avail... If you are offended by such irreverence to the rules of grammar... The very glue that holds our society together... STOP READING NOW... Move on... There is a little button at the top that says "next blog"... You would be well advised to use it... You were warned...

"Too Many Words" Wednesday....

Wednesday, May 5, 2010


I know it is usually "Wordless Wednesday" but today there are things to be said....

This is the "Two Rivers Business Complex" it contains quite a few businesses and a couple churches including Grace Bible Church... 

A church that a lot of good friends and family attend.

The river crested after this was taken...

It appears at this point it is a total loss...

This flood has left me feeling helpless and speechless...

Apparently the national news feels the same way because the massive destruction in middle Tennessee is barely a blip on the evening news...

If this had happened on a slow news week when there was no oil in the gulf or failed car bombs there would be serious coverage for this disaster...

There would be news crews and national telethons....

Alas, we appear to be on our own...

Since the national news isn't covering this people assume it isn't a big deal.
I had one friend ask me on facebook if this is a big deal or if we get flooding every spring....
I had another ask "Doesn't the Mississippi River flood every couple years?"....

To answer their questions...

No, this doesn't happen every year...

This flood has broken all records...

And we are not on the Mississippi River...
This is the Cumberland River, technically part of the Ohio River Basin...

Most of the businesses lost were little locally owned "Mom & Pop" operations already struggling in this economy...

Many of the homes affected will never be inhabitable again...

That flood water is full of raw sewerage, gasoline and heaven knows what else... (Yuck)

It will take years for Middle Tennessee to recover from this...

But it will recover...

Slowly...

Please pray for the City of Clarksville and all of Middle Tennessee...

Thanks for listening,

4 comments :

  1. Oh Rebecca. Please send this to all the local news channels and also to the newspaper. theleafchronicle and everyone, it is so well said, and 100 percent agree! My family asked me the same thing. my friend in Indiana was like, JUST today, emailing and asked whats going on. so it is not being covered nationally, its outrageous, hurricane rita had more coverage! I think that it should be Nationally and Internationally. You wrote this very well. love you girly! You are NOT alone. The Lord is always near. Praise Him! Don't tell God how big your storm is; Tell your storm how big our God is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs, hugs and hugs.

    I've been thinking of everyone that this has affected...and I've been annoyed at the lack of news and media coverage...

    It's ridiculous, really, and I hope that something more is done to help everyone. I'll be keeping y'all in my thoughts and prayers. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I was in Clarksville about a week and half ago driving by the river thinking about how pretty it was. I made a mental note to come back and enjoy it when I had the time... Wonderful reminder about staying out of the way. My heart is breaking and numb, this is just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely hasn't been covered as much on the news. Just yesterday a girl at work asked "What's going on in Tennessee, is there flooding or something?" She had just heard about it then.

    I will be praying for everyone down there.

    ReplyDelete

Friends don't let friends go without comments....