WARNING: Rebecca D. shows flagrant disregard for the rules of punctuation... She uses ellipsis with wild abandon... Punctuation interventions have been done to no avail... If you are offended by such irreverence to the rules of grammar... The very glue that holds our society together... STOP READING NOW... Move on... There is a little button at the top that says "next blog"... You would be well advised to use it... You were warned...

And I Ramble On...

Friday, August 6, 2010

This post is just a bunch of random stuff... If you read on, remember you were warned...

Randomness #1
The other day somebody I barely know asked me if it's "hard to blog?" Then before I could answer she said "It must not be, so many people are doing it." Huhhh... was that a burn?... It felt like it a little...

To belatedly answer her question... Yes and No... No, actually blogging is a lot of fun, but it can be hard to find the time or feel like you have anything of relevance to say... Then there is the blow to your ego... When I first started blogging I had like 60-80 readers a day... Now I have like 15-35... It's only a matter of time before I chase them off too... I get an average of one comment for every ten visitors... Ouch... As for the drop in readers, I like to tell myself it is because I stopped blogging regularly for awhile this spring when my parents were in crisis and I was flying back and forth... Not that I bored them to death... (I hope...)

Randomness #2
Is it wrong to get your teen a new cell phone for "back to school" because you think it might help them fit in? Now mind you Sparky is not only new to this state and school, but has been homeschooling so she already has a few "weirdness" marks against her... We also live in a "status" town... A very "posh" kinda place if you will... I wish I was the kind of parent who didn't feel the need to help her kid "fit it" but alas I do... I could get all defensive here and tell you all the ways we have taught her that "stuff" isn't what matters, and I know I am opening myself up to judgement to even bring this up, but there it is... Any thoughts?

Randomness #3
I used to do a weekly post called "Five Favorites Friday"... Where I listed what I was loving that week...  I started this when I first started this blog and I liked doing it, a lot. When things got crazy this spring I stopped doing it, and was toying with starting up again... Nobody actually said they missed it, but it was fun doing it... Any thoughts?

Randomness #4
It was really, really humid here today, but not at all hot... And we were all miserable... So, they are right... It's not the heat, it's the humidity...

Randomness #5
Speaking of the humidity... Since it has been so humid I keep wearing my hair up in a (sort of) bun with those plastic hair clips... Like this:
Photo: Hair Boutique.com

(It keeps it off my neck.) One of my girlies informed me those went out of style back in the 90's (come to think of it one of my clips might be circa 1995) and the other girlie contends they they are just a styling tool like pony tail holders and bobby pins therefor they aren't subject to "in or out" of style... Any thoughts... (Mind you, I plan to keep wearing mine either way...)

Randomness #6
I need something to read... I finished my pile of "books to read" and now I am at a loss... I usually read fiction and I seem to lean towards mysteries in the summer months... That being said, I am at a loss... A friend suggested a book the other day on facebook so I ordered that, but I need more then one book "on deck"... Any Thoughts? What are you reading right now?

Thanks for listening,

8 comments :

  1. I don't think you are boring : ) I think readers ebb and flow and especially in the summer people aren't blogging or reading as regularly. I know I've been hit or miss.

    The banana clips are 90's but people still wear them so I think you're safe.

    I don't think its wrong to get your daughter a cell phone to help her fit in. It sounds like by now she knows that stuff isn't what makes us who we are but these are tricky years and she has a lot of transitioning to do. If that small thing helps her ease into llife in the new school, etc then I'd do it. Plus, its nice when they get to that age for them to be able to check in with you if needed.

    Books...I read a lot, lots of mysteries but other sorts too. I liked Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. The 13th Tale by Diane Setterfield. The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell. The House at Riverton and The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton...these are not new books but out in the last couple of years. There is an older mystery series I love by Thomas Perry...it is the Jane Whitefield Series and you have to read them in order. The first book is called Vanishing Act. They are really good. Have you read The Help...it's out this year and I absolutely loved it. Author is Kathryn Stockett.

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your randomness.

    1. I know I will fall prey to buying my kids things so they will fit in. I am already prepared for this. It's part of my mental situation. It's part of my upbringing and what I swore I would do different. This is all within reason, of course. And I think a cell is within reason, right?

    2. I love your Five Favorites Friday. Bring it on back.

    3. I used to use those hair clips (before the boys played with them and broke/lost them) for shower trips that didn't neccessitate a hair washing. They are handy. They are dandy. They are 90's too, but they are still a handy tool. So I think you can still use them as a tool. Right?

    4. Are you on Good Reads? We should be friends on there. Am currently reading:

    -Poison Study (I love it)
    -recently read : Inside Out (I love it)
    -am going to read: "The Hunger Games" -- it comes well recommended.

    Whew. Sorry about the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca -

    Sorry! I almost never comment. Sometimes I wonder if it's a bit weird having a total stranger comment... but then, I like getting comments. And I'm on the other coast, so most likely not a creepy stalker. So I'm delurking to say HI!

    So to respond to your randomness...

    #1 However many readers (or not) you're doing the right thing by your parents. And what an amazing husband to be so supportive.

    #2 No idea about the phone. Has a lot more to do with your evaluation of your daughter's good judgment, as my observation is that kids can tend to waste a lot of time and can substitute electronic for IRL relationships. Which comes with a bit of irony, as I only know you on-line. (Smirking at myself.)

    #5 Hair clips in style? Whatever... if it's hot and humid, anything that keeps your hair off your neck is a godsend. (Mine is thick and heavy.)

    #6 Have you read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? It's probably in your library. Comedy and (light) romance, set in the Channel Islands (between England and France) after WWII.

    And Bill Bryson. He's hilarious, (with occasional potty mouth.)

    Enjoy the rest of your summer :D

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to read your posts! :)
    Also, I wear those hair clips if I need to put my hair up real quick when it's real hot, or if my hair is really crazy. I just think they're harder to lose in my bag than a ponytail holder. And I'm 22. So, I don't think its that "old school". Either that or I'm really old school. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, guilt-tripped into commenting... But its good to know you want us commenters around, I guess the ego thing goes both ways. I love reading your blog. Out of the half dozen or so I have saved as bookmarks I visit yours the most. I savor your transparency which makes me feel like I know you way more than I really do and I come back to see how my friend is doing. You make everyday feel so full of life, not to mention entertaining. I read about yours because it feels more exciting and special than mine a lot of the time. Can anyone say vicarious? Why don't I think my life is exciting? I don't know... I am about to have a baby, in fact it is way past due. Sigh... extremely phlegmatic child. Sorry to make this about me. I feel like I can easily share a bit of my world with you who so generously shares your world with me and I appreciate it. So, I hope that helps any doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those hair clips! I don't think they're too out of style...they sell them everywhere--and it's too hot to care :)

    Now, if you were wearing a scrunchie? That's a little different ;)

    Books...I've read a few really good ones. My favorite authors: Mary Kay Andrews, Jennifer Weiner...I've done a few reviews on books on my blog--email me if you need anything else :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are definitely not boring!

    I am currently reading "Gone with the Wind" and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much to comment on here.

    Let's see......First off, you have 15-35 readers (lucky you). I think I have about 10. I think I'm pretty boring though, but that's ok. You, my friend, are not boring. I enjoy reading your posts! I think a lot of people read blogs, but not a lot comment. I comment like crazy because I want to, and I know people like getting comments. Hope you don't mind :)

    Second, I don't think it's wrong to get your daughter a cell phone. Nowadays, I think you need that cell phone to keep in touch.

    That clip is so not out of style. I wear one EVERY single day because I hate wearing my hair down. I LOVE those clips!!

    I would so participate in Five Favorites Friday!!! I don't think I read your blog when you had it, but it sounds like fun!!

    Hmmm, as far as books go, I read what I'm in the mood for at the time. A few years back, I was into true crime. Ann Rule was my favorite. I am currently reading Jen Lancaster's "My Fair Lazy". I LOVE her!!! She cracks me up! Her first book "Bitter is the New Black" was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

Friends don't let friends go without comments....