WARNING: Rebecca D. shows flagrant disregard for the rules of punctuation... She uses ellipsis with wild abandon... Punctuation interventions have been done to no avail... If you are offended by such irreverence to the rules of grammar... The very glue that holds our society together... STOP READING NOW... Move on... There is a little button at the top that says "next blog"... You would be well advised to use it... You were warned...

A Run To The Island...

Saturday, June 28, 2014

We have friends coming in from out of town next week and plan to spend part of their visit at our camp (cabin for you non-Mainers) so we we ran over there to lay in some supplies and do a quick cleaning/mow... Since we needed to go we decided to spend the night... It's a tough job but somebody has to do it! 


I can feel the stress of daily life melt away as we board the ferry for the 20 or so minute trip over...


Usually by the time I see this sight I am already on "island time"!! 
(Kindly ignore the dusty dashboard! Thanks!!)


We drive by this house on our way to our camp and something about it always reminds me of Prince Edwards Island & Anne Of Green Gables... There is a beautiful view of the ocean just to the left of this photo but my phone doesn't exactly have a wide angle lens... (I really need to charge my camera batteries!!) 

We have been slowly updating the camp since we moved back to Maine in 2010 and four years in we are really getting there... To give you some reference just take a peek back at this post from 2011...
We were in a bit of a rush leaving today but I did snap some pictures of the living room... 


Paul will not let me get rid of that plaid chair as he claims it is the most comfortable chair he has ever sat in... That is an over statement but I can live with it...


The addition of the ousted furniture from our living room has made a HUGE difference... 
I have some cute oars that are going over the sofa but forgot to bring the drill driver to hang them this trip...


The lamps are new this year... I picked them up at Lowes of all places... Paul needed some things there before our last trip over and Allison & I spotted them and thought they'd be great there. They were less then $50 each!! Crazy huh?


The pillows in the antique winsor chair actually belong on the bed but they got plopped there and look so cute I haven't been able to bring myself to take them into the bedroom! 
The print is one of several we have by late local artist and family friend Lyn Snow... She passed away suddenly last year from a tick bite, but we are fortunate to have quite a few of her prints and one of her original works.
The pictures on the floor are some we removed this trip that used to be above the (now removed) daybed and you can see below what we replaced them with...


A collage of black & white sail boat prints... The larger framed one is a vintage one that has been at the camp in the bedroom for years, the smaller framed one was a gift and we found the canvas at a local discount home decor store awhile back but didn't have a spot for it yet...
Allison put this arrangement together just today and I like it... I think... We are in "live with it" mode but since we only get to the camp about once a week in the summer at best it takes us awhile to "live" with things! (Your opinions are welcome!) 


We took out the old, uncomfortable daybed and replaced it with a somewhat controversial item... A TV... We took the old one out in 2010 and didn't really want one there but we did find that the nights and/or rainy days at camp can be long and we enjoy getting to catch up on watching some of the videos we rarely take time to watch at home... For the last couple years at such moments we would put one of our laptops on a chair in front of the couch and gather around and squint at the movie... It does not have cable, and since we do not have the internet (except on our phones) at the camp there will be no netflix etc... I am hoping it will remain off most of the time but I have to admit that it was nice watching a couple episodes of Firefly last night! (Have I mentioned lately what a sci-fi geek I am?)

Anyhow, we were doing some tiding so our company would not be totally outraged by the filth we "camp" in... After all it is really hard to focus on cobwebs and dust when you are on island time! 

(I'll take pictures of the other rooms soon!)

Thanks for listening,

2 comments :

  1. Lovelovelove the camp/cabin and what you're doing there :D Especially love the sailing pics you've got up :D And the pic of the other house? I JUST READ Anne of Green Gables - yes!

    Nice work :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sailboat arrangement! Everything looks awesome! I'm inspired to work on my many nesting projects. Thanks for sharing... Julie stole my thoughts love love love!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete

Friends don't let friends go without comments....