WARNING: Rebecca D. shows flagrant disregard for the rules of punctuation... She uses ellipsis with wild abandon... Punctuation interventions have been done to no avail... If you are offended by such irreverence to the rules of grammar... The very glue that holds our society together... STOP READING NOW... Move on... There is a little button at the top that says "next blog"... You would be well advised to use it... You were warned...

Hodgepodging Again... Wth 37 Days To Go!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Time to join up with Joyce for a hodgepodge again...

I will catch everyone up on wedding stuff later this week...
AND no, we still haven't heard from our pastor/church so we are still in the dark as of typing this... I will share when I know more... But that's enough of that...

Let the Hodgepodging commence!



1. What is a pet peeve you have when vacationing?
Number ONE pet peeve... Dirty hotel room... I have spent the first few hours of the first day cleaning so-so rooms more then I care to recount... Truly dirty rooms, I will ask for a different room, but I have a two room max at any hotel... There are almost always more hotels and I have been known to ask at the front desk for a phone book and use their courtesy phone to call around and find a new room. We stayed at a hotel in Newport, Rhode Island once that I looked at the rooms online and it turns out the one I saw was one of two recently redone rooms and the other 80 or so rooms were run down, dated and dirty!

2. Would you describe yourself as a light packer or do you need everything in your closet plus the kitchen sink?
When I was younger I packed way too much... I would get home from trips with bags half to three quarters full of stuff I never touched. As I have gotten older I have become a wiser packer... Let's face it, you will have no more desire to wear those super cute but super uncomfortable sandals on vacation then you have at home... Maybe less! Plus with the cost of airline baggage these days, who wants to spend the extra to pack extra stuff you won't use... Last time we flew it was $50 per checked bag on United Airlines (no first bag free with them... At least at the time.) That was $200 for each of us... Each way! Think about how much fun you could have with that extra $400!



 
3. What's the best lesson a child ever taught you?
When Allison was little we were headed to a birthday party at a famous fast food restaurant (do people still do those?) and apparently she had some grand ideas as to how much fun it would be... She was picturing clowns, and moon bounces, and as much free french fries as she could eat... I was kinda worried she would be disappointed so I tried to reel in her expectations. She stopped me and said "Momma, quit pruning my daisies!" She went on to basically say that it is fun to imagine an amazing thing and besides, she is headed to a birthday party... "It is already a good day!"
Both the idea of not deflating someone else's dreams and that philosophy that "it's already a good day" are ones I hold onto!

4. Share one piece of advice you'd give a recent graduate as they attempt to enter the job market?
Don't be too proud... A job is a job in today's economy. Also, invest the first $1000 you make then forget about it. Due to the miracle of compound interest you'll thank me in 25-30 years. Then if you can make double payments on all student loans. Make compound interest work in you favor again and you'll thank me in 5-10 years!

5. What's your favorite lemon something?
I really love all things lemon... And not that she needs a plug but The Pioneer Woman's lemon crumb squares are my fave these days!

(photo: PioneerWoman.com)


 
6. Flat sandal, wedge, heel...your favorite footwear?
I love the look of a cute wedge, but since I injured my ankle several years ago, I'm a flats girl... In fact I am a fan of the ugly albeit ultra-comfy Birkenstock.
7. What do you like best about a beach holiday? If you're not a beach lover (GASP!!) what do you dislike the least?
I am now afraid to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the beach vacation... The best thing about the beach is sitting for hours chatting with friends while soaking in some vitamin D... (We lack good ole' vitamin D in these parts.) But since the sun beating down on my head gives me migraines (esp. in hot climates), and since most of my friends do not come with me on vacation, I'd rather just sit on the beaches around here and do something entirely different on vacation!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Tomorrow I need to tackle over 3 weeks of dirty laundry... My husband has been teasing me for days that the end of the house the laundry room is on is sinking... I have been doing an emergency load here and there for weeks and it is really getting out of control... My husband pinned a note on the pile that has avalanche safety tips on it... That is not a joke... The "laundry situation" is why I am posting this Tuesday night, and will just link up in the morning... It is also why I may not get a chance to blog hop around Wednesday... But I will pop into as many as I can!

Thanks for listening,

5 comments :

  1. I hate to ask this but....why doesn't anyone else in your house do laundry? My husband does most of it (as well as the housecleaning) because he has Friday's off and that leaves Saturdays for us to do what we want. But then he's amazing! LOL!

    Still praying for you crazy life!

    And I love the "quit pruning my daisies" comment! I'll have to remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Birkenstocks too! I was just reminded the other day that I had a pair and I can't find them anywhere. I am even more motivated to find them now :) I can't stand dirt (or germs either) so I usually have to give the place we are staying a once over so I know it is really clean- LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get caught up on your laundry...that is A LOT! I love what your daughter said about the daisies. Out of the mouths of babes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the "quit pruning my daisies" comment! Oh, sister, I'm a flats girl too. The only thing I wear with any height are my Danskos, because they have such great support. Usually (like NOW), knock-off Keens or crocs :D

    Praying for peace and wisdom,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the same thing as Dawn about the laundry. With a house of adults and near adults they can all do their own laundry and you can move on to doing other things. ;-)

    On the shoes thing...I know you love your ugly little Birkenstocks (haha!) but I think you would look super cute in some low heeled open toe wedges . Give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete

Friends don't let friends go without comments....